Project Run & Play Sew Along–Week 3

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

This week’s challenge was in honor of Earth Day. The assignment was to use organic material, recycle, or upcycle. This one was a stretch for me. I really love cutting into a nice new piece of fabric and creating something wearable. I’m enjoying playing along with PR&P, so I decided to take on the challenge with an upcycle.

This robe has been in my “get rid of someday” pile for years now. I actually like the soft patchy fabric, but I never wear it. I decided to see what I could do with it.

IMG_2279b

I could actually file this post under a vision accomplished post because my inspiration came from rompers like this one I’ve been pinning.


I didn’t have a pattern to go by, so that just added to the challenge. I cut the shorts portion of the romper from the sides of the robe keeping the pockets in tact. The trim up the front and around the neck of the robe became the bottom ruffle of the shorts. The bodice pieces were cut from the sleeves of the robe. I think the patchy look translated well to the romper. Ta da!

IMG_2332

She loves the pockets! I used one of the inside robe ties to add a bow at the waistline.

IMG_2352b

The belt and neckline are shirred pieces of knit. I shirred the neckline closer towards the neck hole to get a flared look at the outer edge.

IMG_2362

I am hoping to squeeze in an upcycle for Tandy too before the deadline. The fabric is cut, so it’s time to get sewing!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground