Yarn Wreath Tutorial

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Okay, I promised I would put together a tutorial of sorts if I made another yarn wreath. These are the Christmas versions I posted previously. I'm going to show you how I put together a Valentine's Day yarn wreath. These are your basic craft supplies: straw wreath form, yarn, and misc. embellishments. For this wreath, I marked the halfway point on two sides.
Then, using a hot glue gun, I attached the first yarn color to the wreath form near the mark.
Now, start looping the yarn around the form pulling it snug, but not tight. Try to keep your loops as close to each other as possible, but don't go crazy with this. You can double back to fill in the gaps at the end.
When you reach your halfway mark, tack the end down with your glue gun. Now is when I loop back over the gaps. Once all gaps are filled, glue the end of the yarn down and cut off the remaining yarn.
Here is a shot of the first half completed.
Grab your next color and start the process over, looping and filling in the gaps.
This is what we have so far.
Now, for the fun stuff! I embellished with an ornament, letters, and felt roses. For the letters, I applied glue then glitter to some left over scrapbooking letters.

I found this chocolate covered strawberry ornament on sale at Sur La Table after the holidays.
Hot glue your embellishments in place. I added some white yarn to mimic the swirl on the strawberry and tied the ornament in place with green ribbon continuing the "stem." Instructions for the felt roses can be found here. There are so many fun yarn options out there, so you have endless possibilities. I really hope you give this simple method a try. Please share photos with me if you do.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground