Mamma Tried

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Some days I feel like Avery gets tired of the same old toys, so I made a little "table tent" for her yesterday. When she is ready I hope to make her something like these. We read some books and played with the flashlights. Unfortunately, the fun only lasted about 20 minutes. Oh well, I tried. I've been on a fruity dessert kick lately. First, I tried out this nectarine cake. Then, I made the pear pecan cake from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook when my Mom was in town. If you have this cookbook, you must try this recipe. It's as easy as it is delicious. My only recommendation would be to let the cake cool almost completely before trying to remove it from the pan.

Today, I bought some peaches to make Avery peach puree, but when I got home they were screaming to be made into dessert. I've typically shied away from cobbler. I think I just didn't want to mess with blanching and peeling the peaches. You don't have to with this recipe! Plus it makes a perfect 8x8 dish of goodness for two. The only sinful thing is that I don't have any ice cream to serve with it.

This recipe is adapted from Rebecca Rather's, The Pastry Queen.

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup milk
3 sliced peaches, PEELS LEFT ON
1/2 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 deg. Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan set over medium-high heat until it bubbles and turns a nut-brown color. Watch the butter closely, as it can go from browned to burned in a few seconds. Pour the butter into an 8 inch square baking dish. In a medium bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and milk. Pour the milk mixture on top of the melted butter. Do not stir! Without mixing, arrange the peaches evenly on top of the batter. Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar over the cobbler.

Bake the cobbler for 40 to 45 minutes. until the top turns golden brown. The batter will migrate from he bottom of the pan to cover the peach slices partially. Serve warm or at room temp. Enjoy!
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground